- Chinese eggplant
- 3-4 eggs
- seasoning sauce
- fish sauce
- soy sauce
- minced crab
Time Estimate: 1 hour
1. There are 2 ways – grill it on an open flame grill or if you have an electric stove you can boil it. On an open flame grill, the skin needs to be soft enough to peel. Boil water in a large enough pan or pot. Submerge the eggplant in the water. Boil on one side until it turns brown, and then flip it over to the other side to continue browning. About 5 minutes. When the skin looks “wrinkly”, that’s when it is done. This is in order for it to be easy to peel off.
2. When it’s done boiling, pull it out and let it cool off before peeling the skin off.
3. Meanwhile, make your egg mixture. More % of egg than sauce. 1.5 tbsp fish sauce, 1.5 seasoning sauce, and 1 tbsp of soy sauce. Salt to taste but make sure the ratio is 60% egg 40% sauce. 1 tbsp of minced crab (optional).
4. Peel the eggplant skin, and once it’s peeled smash and spread with a fork.
5. Put the eggplant into the egg mixture, soak each side for about 15 seconds each making sure it is submerged and getting a coat around the eggplant.
6. Fry each side for 8 minutes on medium high. If there’s any extra egg mixture, pour on top and flip them. Scrape the runny egg into the eggplant with a spatula to get all of the batter. It is done once both sides are crispy.
7. Serve with rice and enjoy